Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More Work For The Fractals Class

Last week, part of the assignment was to decide upon prototypes from the Mandelbrot and Julia sets on which to base our work for the remainder of the class.
I chose these.




This week was pure play, experimenting with the Smooth (Mandelbrot) and Gaussian Integer coloring formulas on our prototypes.
Below are the ones I turned in for class.
The Mandelbrot fractals are like fire and ice and the two from the Julia set have an oriental feel. I think the latter would make great designs for fabric.








After my class work was all finished and posted, I did some deep deep zooming in on my Mandelbrot prototype and discovered this little gem. It looks like a crocheted granny square.


Thanks for stopping by. I hope you've enjoyed looking at my art as much as I've enjoyed making it!

1 comment:

pete S. said...

Hi Patty, you're right about the cloth, and I'd include the first mandelbrot, "fire" for that, although it might make a really nice big print...it looks like an intense gouache to me. I don't even remember seeing that bright red in any of the gouaches my aunt produced. Would be a cool silk scarf, though, given the right size of scarf. There are more designs here and in your next posts, especially among those you took into Painter that I think would be cool transferred to cloth. I thought about doing that sort of thing over the years, and when I mentioned it Ellifolks (http://www.ellifolks.com/blog/) told me of a company called Spoonflower. I don't know much about that yet, but if you decide it's really something you're tempted to try, there's a start at finding out!
Neat to see the "playtime images" along with the minibrots! The Painter alterations are, as they say, "Way Cool"!
Very nice images, thanks for showing them!
Cheers!
pete