Sunday, January 4, 2009

Exploring the Coastline Looking for Midgets

Lesson One for "Working with Ultra Fractal" was posted January 1st over at Visual Ats Acadamy. What a great way to start the New Year! This week we are exploring the Mandelbrot Set, zooming in deeply on certain areas, searching for mini Mandelbrots.
Now I have been dabbling in fractals for a year or so, but I have to tell you...I had no idea! We are talking about infinity here!
For our homework, we were to find two "midgets" in each of three areas...the Scepter Valley, the Seahorse Valley and the Elephant Valley. Doesn't that sound like the geography of a newly discovered planet?
Here are my findings.








And after, I had to play. :-)





Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Barb Hartsook said...

Not doing fractal art, I don't know what you're painting here. But I've been reading about chaos and the infinitesimal characteristics of fractals. No coastlines are measurable -- yep, you just can't go small enough to measure what keeps on going.

Your fractal art is beautiful -- I love the purple thingie. :)

swooze said...

The top pictures make me think of frost on glass. Very pretty.

Happy New Year!