Friday, October 10, 2008

Welcome to the blog of an accidental artist.


I call myself that because I have had no formal training in art whatsoever.
And I didn't one day decide to create digital art. I just wanted to design a label for a special quilt I was making.
But that led me to replace my ancient Jasc Paint Shop Pro 5, bought to fix and organize my scanned photos, with Corel Paint Shop Pro X.
And with that software came an offer to try Corel Painter Essential 3, to make my photos look like paintings.
That was 2 years ago.

Now I use a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet and Corel Painter X. Sometimes a piece is taken to PSP or Adobe Photoshop for additional work, or various 3rd party filters are applied. (I am such a software junkie! LOL)

Much of my art is accidental, too. It comes about as I play and ask myself "what if...."
I never did get into making my photographs look like paintings, nor do I often try to paint anything even remotely realistic. Instead I experiment with color and texture and shape. I do with digital paint what I would do with fabric if I had the discipline.

But is it really art?
Sometimes I wonder, but I'm having too much fun to care!




3 comments:

Marcia said...

Patty, you have a great start here on your blog.

To answer your question.... is it art?

I say yes, it is wonderful, colorful abstract art.

Barb Hartsook said...

Yippee! I can't tell you how excited I am to see your new blog! I love your "accidental" art... have always been able to picture your abstracts printed large, gallery-wrapped, lined up side by side on a modern art gallery wall. Or more dramatically, along a long entrance hallway in a New York or Chicago downtown office building -- a tall one -- with the opposite wall open to the street, all glass. The sidewalk of course has benches and tables and trees -- your paintings serving as a backdrop for a beautiful cityscape.

Unknown said...

Great start to your blog and of course it is art. You are making visual quilts if nothing else.